Friday, July 15, 2011

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow

Back from a slightly extended business trip, exhaustion is setting in.  But I feel like this blog captures memories for me; the way K made me feel this past week and a half was ~ cherished and valued ~ memories most definitely worth capturing.

This trip involved a lot of very busy days, long hours, basically working from waking up until dropping into bed.  I averaged 5.5 hours of sleep for the last 10 days.

Who was there to offer laughs and support during this time?  K.  Who did I miss, perhaps even too much?  K.  Who, just over a month and a week into this relationship, expressed worry about how hard I was working and offered a night of pampering so I could recover?  K  Who tolerated when I stressed out about "us" because I was so exhausted and missed him?  K.  

He made a point of almost daily sending me something to make me smile, whether it be a text, picture or email.  The nature of the work I was doing didn't leave much time for me to talk or respond...yet he kept it up without having to be asked.  It really helped my ability to deal with a stressful last few days.  Even though we've been apart, he kept us connected.

That kind of thing never happened with the ex...and I worked myself into exhaustion, at times, all for marital community.  Flying home tonight, I realized how nice it was to have support from someone who had no moral obligation to lend it.  Even if my relationship with K is only for the short-term, he's taught me that I deserve someone who recognizes the hard effort.

When I first left my marriage, I found daily affirmations of why it was the right choice.  K has, in many instances, affirmed this is a good path for me right now.  He is nearly the opposite of the ex in nearly every important category; but most importantly - he patiently deals with my oddities, worries, and concerns.  He may be seven years younger, but he is often far wiser than I.

Just before leaving on the trip, I worried that the time apart could be the end of this relationship because it was so new.  As I sit here, typing, I laugh at myself for worrying.  Actually, I'm really a bit angry at myself for not giving K more credit.  I hate this about me, but I almost feel like I've been conditioned to expect the least from the men in my life.  K puts effort into "us"...although it really feels effortless for him - it's just how he is.

K has been out of town himself and I finally get to see him tomorrow.  Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment