Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Will She Ever Learn?

For the second time in a month, I'm on a work related project with exceedingly long hours, but only for a short stint.  Fortunately, this time the project is in the city in which we live.  Because the hours are so long, I'm staying downtown in a hotel and not commuting home each night.  Oddly, or not, K and I both say we miss the other person.  Luckily, yesterday was a short day and K came downtown to spend a few hours with me...and to spend the night, too.

Sometimes I leave him little notes when I slip away from his house after him.  Today, I left him a note in the bathroom of the hotel room, as I was the first to leave this time.  When I got back to my room tonight, I was a little sad that there wasn't a return note.  I guess the adage that we treat others as we want to be treated is definitely true in this case.  Being somewhat exhausted for all the right reasons, I think tiredness just made me forget how wonderful he is regardless of whether there's a note or not.

Realizing that not everyone thinks the same about these little things, I went about my evening and let go of the momentary blip.  Reaching for my PJs, which were hanging on a bathroom hook, I discovered that K had hidden a card behind them.  Wow.  It was even a Hallmark card. =)  I was flabbergasted to say the least.  I've never gotten him a card.  Wow.  He had to actually plan ahead to do that.

Repeatedly this guy has shown that he is a quality individual, interested in doing the right thing for the right reasons, time and time again exceeding my expectations.  Rejoicing in all that he already does, on just a basic level, makes me happier than I've been in too long to consider.

All this leaves me to ask:  when will I learn to simply accept that he is, as far as I can tell, an amazing guy?  When will I learn to stop fretting over inconsequential things, like a note, and accept that he usually covers those bases all on his own initiative?  When will I learn that it is possible for someone to care for me exactly how I have always wanted?

1 comment:

  1. There are amazing guys in the world. If you don't plan for how they might amaze you, you'll be delightfully surprised and tickled and "awww, how sweet" all the time. If you forge expectations on your own (he must put a post-it on the coffee pot) you'll be disappointed. Relax and let him be awesome on his own terms.

    You two are sure making me smile a lot lately. Keep it up!

    And H, let's have a private conversation about those other things you need, ok? If you want to or I can help in any way.

    ReplyDelete