Saturday, May 28, 2011

Double dates

[I started drafting this Wednesday, May 25, 2011, but left it in a draft folder.  I intend, still, to chronicle these adventures as they evolve, so I've given myself minus points in delaying this post.]

Today I had a double date.  Not in the traditional sense.  I met Guy 3 - E for coffee at 2:00 for a first date and then met Guy 1 - J for dinner as a second date.  I feel odd.  I've never been one to schedule two dates with two different people on the same day.  But since I'm doing nothing more than talking to people, with the majority of my intent being on finding friends and nothing more at this stage, I decided I was being too straight laced.

I really had an easy time talking with Guy 3 - E.  We sat down for coffee and talked; the first time I thought to look at my clock, I thought only maybe 30-40 minutes had gone by.  It had actually been over an hour and I was late getting back to my car, he was late getting back to work from his lunch break.  But I could tell...or at least I thought I could tell...that there wasn't much interest from him beyond just talking.  I can't decide if it's appropriate for me to email him and say something along the lines of "hey, let's just be friends and go riding."  He is cute and I would worry that maybe I read him wrong and a "just be friends" email might foreclose the possibility of something more.

Second date with Guy 1 - J was a little more comfortable than the first date.  We were able to talk most of the date...only a couple of awkward pauses.  He keeps asking about "hobbies."  Both our professions require precision with words, so I answer with the definition of hobby in my mind.  I realized after the date that the reason I have a hard time answering the "hobbies" question is because I think of them as things you do repeatedly and often.  I'm coming out of staying for a year in a small town.  I didn't regularly go golfing; I didn't regularly get into arts and crafts; I didn't regularly volunteer; I didn't regularly go to the movies; I didn't regularly go wine tasting.

Maybe he means to be asking about my interests?  I need to tell him what I'm interested in doing the next time he asks about hobbies...and yes, I know that what I regularly do these days is a bit boring.  But at the same time, it's given me a lot of free time to think about this thing called life.  I'm done thinking quite so much and am ready to get back into activities.  I now just have to find a guy patient enough with my need to explore...and to explore all that's on my exploration list.

No comments:

Post a Comment