Monday, May 30, 2011

Laughter

I debated telling this story for fear it's funny only to me.  But since I doubt anyone will be reading these things, I thought - what the hay!

Today I got ready for a date.  The seams in my jeans weren't quite dry.  Then I dropped my shirt in the shower, which was damp from having been used.  So I took the hair drier to the shirt, but didn't leave enough time to finish blow drying my hair completely (it takes a while as it's sort of thick).  As I'm driving to the date, I have the a/c blasting, alternating between blow drying my hair more, blowing on my legs to dry the seams of the jeans, and (I can't believe I'm telling this part) blowing on my arm pits so I don't get that nervous sweat thing going on.

Hey...I'm human and I sweat.  Get over it.

I start laughing so hard at myself that tears formed in my eyes...then I laughed more because I was messing up my mascara.  Oy Vay.  Then after I parked, I started laughing again because I realized I had made myself obviously cold.  Then as I walk to the meeting point, I laugh again because I realized I forgot to check if there was anything weird with my face (you know, like obvious eye or nose boogers)...luckily I found a bathroom and popped in there and there was absolutely nothing wrong with my face.

But it was a really good frame of mind to be in for my date with Guy 7 - N...happy and silly for no good reason.  And it then turned out to be a really nice date.  I felt the "I want to lean in and kiss you" (trademark pending) feeling...and I think if I'm reading him right, he felt it back.  He's worked in my profession; but is going school to transition to a new career that is more what he wants to do.  I really like that...finding professional happiness while also pursuing personal happiness.  We talked in total for a good hour and a half, nearly two hours.  I got bold enough to ask him on a second date about 45 minutes into it...and a while later, as we walked to the parking lot, I asked him if he wanted to grab coffee right then.  He said yes to both.

I drove us to coffee, breaking one of my rules of not going in a single car on the first date.  It turned out okay and it has me evaluating if one or two of my rules aren't overly cautious.  When I drove him back to his car, he leaned in for a hug as I was extending my hand for a handshake (are you rolling your eyes with me).  Damn he smelled good...and I hope my stupidness about the handshake wasn't a deal killer.  But I had already confessed to some of my dorkiness, so perhaps its no big deal.

And it made a nice bookend on the date.  As I drove away, I started laughing at myself about the handshake. A handshake????  Come on, seriously????

I told my roommates about the date about four hours after the fact...one of them commented that I was a little glowy.  I don't mean to be glowy at the first date but it was just a damn fun afternoon full of laughter...even some light hearted laughter with Guy 7 - N, but mostly at myself because, after all, laughter is the best medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment