Sunday, May 29, 2011

Little Boxes

In this online dating thing, as I'm sure you know, you have to check all these little boxes about who you are and what it is you are seeking.  I hate labels.  The one I hate the most is "body type."  I'm fit and getting fitter.  I'm curvy and have a woman's figure.  I'm healthier than some of the "thin" people I know, but I will never be "thin" nor, frankly, do I want to be.  So I'm not a model, and I don't play one on TV, although I could have been one of Sandro Botticelli's models for The Birth of Venus.  I really can (finally) run 3.5 miles; I really can bike 30 miles.  But people might not think that right away upon meeting me.  Ugh.  Why do they make us label ourselves?

Then I realize that it's possible there are men on these sites that bristle at the labeling just as much as I do.  Or at least I hope there are men that get how these labels are so completely superficial.  Still, I don't respond to some men that haven't checked the right boxes for the labels that match me.  Am I failing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt or is it that they simply aren't worth my time because they have narrowed their view to those superficial boxes?  Can't we just kick the little boxes to the curb?

No comments:

Post a Comment